Graduation & Promotion Guidelines
Promotion from grade to grade should be based on credits earned:
- Promotion to 10th grade – 5 credits
- Promotion to 11th grade – 11 credits
- Promotion to 12th grade – 17.5 credits
- 23.5 credits by the end of 12th grade
A passing grade is described as a D or higher (60 or higher).
General Graduation Guidelines
- A student needs to complete a total of 23.5 credits to graduate. To graduate from PLA, the student must have met the following credit requirements successfully:
|Social Studies||3 credits|
|African American History||1 credits|
|World Language||2 credits|
|Arts & Humanities||2 credits|
|Phys. Ed.||1 credits|
|Electives *||4 credits|
- One elective must be one of the following: Mathematics, Science, International Baccalaureate or Advanced Placement courses. Special admission schools and other criteria-based schools or programs may predetermine the electives that require additional subject area credits in math, science or others.
- A Multidisciplinary Project or a Service Learning Project has been successfully completed.
ALL SENIORS ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION TO THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF PHILADELPHIA. (The school counselor is the point person to fulfill this requirement).
PLEASE NOTE: A student in grade 12 who does not meet the graduation criteria, and who is within 2 credits of the required number for graduation, shall be assigned to a Summer Program and shall be retained if he/she does not attend or if he/she does not complete the Summer Program in its entirety.